Welcome to jACKrABBIT! Here you can buy seeds for growing your own produce and ingredients for cooking and baking, you can find recipes for everyday and for preserving home-grown food and find activities and ideas for getting you and your children out of doors and enjoying nature. We also sell native wildflower seeds to encourage those important bees and butterflies into your garden.

Propagating Seeds

31 January. 2012.
It isn't necessary to have a greenhouse (I don't have one) to get your seeds started, though the space is useful if you are sowing alot of seeds. I have a clear roofed extension (it is far from a conservatory...more of a fancy out-house), which means that I can grow tomatoes and cucumbers indoors. It is easy though, to sow your seeds on sunny windowledges...I set up a table behind my sunniest windowledge so that I can sow quite a few seeds. 
Wilkinson's sells really cheap windowledge propagators (about £3.20 each) which come with five inserts for propagating most seeds, but I like to sow herb seeds in larger pots (first picture), as you sow quite a few seeds together. I've sown some basil and some chives to keep indoors.
To propagate, you place the clear lid on the base which creates a mini greenhouse, and place this in a sunny warm spot. The sun catches my kitchen windowledge really nicely. You can easily lift the lid to keep your seeds moist (but not soaking).

Once the seedlings begin to appear you remove the clear propagator lid, but still keep them on the sunny windowledge.
You can also cover the pot with cling film, which also creates a little greenhouse, but being disposable, cling film is not such an environmentally concious method.
The cling film is removed once the seedlings appear.




18 February. 2012.
The seeds begin to sprout so I remove the lid or plastic cover and keep moist.